Over the past couple of years, working from home has become an in-demand option for many employees. The flexibility and freedom it offers boast an appeal that has captivated the masses. Whether you’re new to the structure, or feel like a WFH veteran, there’s no denying that it can be hard to stay motivated at work without the structure of the office.
As the year draws to a close, now is the perfect time to reflect on your working style and what you want to achieve in 2022. Here are 5 tips to help you to become more productive than ever in the new year.
1. Create a dedicated workspace. According to Forbes, studies show that having a dedicated workspace is pivotal to enhancing your ability to focus. If you set aside a specific ‘work’ spot in your home that’s free of distraction, you’re likely to concentrate better. If you have a guest bedroom, consider repurposing it as an office. You could also consider clearing a space at the kitchen counter or dining table for work.
2. Maintain regular work hours. Even if you’re able to create your own schedule, it’s helpful to keep regular work hours so that you can communicate with your team effectively. Getting in the habit of going to work at a certain time and working until a set time, will make it easier for you to stick to a schedule. Don’t forget to factor in time for breaks, fresh air, and exercise as this can boost your overall wellbeing and productivity.
3. Stay away from personal tasks. The Muse advises that one of the best ways to stay productive is to avoid performing personal tasks during work hours. It’s easy to lose track of time when you’re online shopping or checking your social media accounts. This can come at the cost of your productivity and throw you off track for the rest of the day.
4. Check in with colleagues. Working from home can be isolating at times, but it doesn’t have to be. It’s important to communicate with your team members throughout the day, be it through Zoom, Microsoft Teams or whatever software you have access to. It can also be helpful to host a short meeting at the beginning of each day where your team can get together and discuss current projects and individual tasks.
5. Dress professionally. It can be tempting to wear joggers (or even pyjamas) when you don’t have to journey to a physical office, but dressing casually can make you feel less inclined to work. By choosing the same types of clothes you would wear in the office, you'll recreate your professional work environment at home. This can help you stay focused and productive—plus, you’ll always be prepared to hop on a video call!
Working from home became our ‘new normal’ in 2020 and 2021. Guess what? 2022 isn’t looking any different. WFH can have huge benefits... say hello to work-life balance and goodbye to commuting time, but with that being said - it’s important to stay productive.
Create a home-working environment in 2022 that will help you achieve your goals and become a valuable member of your team. Want to find out some other tips and tricks about how to improve your career-life? Head over to our career advice page.